Nebraska law requires that corporations, non-profit corporations and limited liability companies (LLC) file biennial occupation tax reports and pay an occupation tax every other year in order to maintain their legal existence. In even numbered years, business corporation occupation tax reports are due. In odd numbered years non-profit and LLC reports are due. This year, business corporation returns are due. If the return is not filed and the fee paid by March 1, 2020, the corporation will be dissolved on April 16, 2020 and additional fees will be required to reinstate the corporation.

Notice of the requirement to file occupation tax report was mailed to the registered agent of the corporation by the Secretary of State’s office. Your registered agent should forward the notice to you for you to complete the occupation tax return. The return can be filed on line at the Secretary of State’s website – – or you can go to the website and print a paper report if you prefer to file a paper return. Note that there is a $3.00 surcharge to file on line and pay by either electronic check or by credit card.

The link to the annual/biennial report is on the first page of the website and the instructions are easy to follow. If you have any questions, you can contact your attorney or the Secretary of State’s office.

Please complete the report as soon as you can to avoid the dissolution of your company.

You should also be aware that from time to time a company sends notices out to corporations and LLC’s offering to assist with the preparation of minutes. You do not need to use this entity to prepare your minutes and paying their fee does NOT pay the occupation tax due to the Secretary of State’s office. Please carefully read any solicitation before you pay any fee to anyone other than the Secretary of State.